The CAST Science Communication Scholarship helps support future generations of scientists connect scientific research with science communication. Specifically, this scholarship fund enables OSU graduate level students and veterinary medicine students, focusing on careers in agriculture and food research, veterinary medicine, engineering, economics, and science communication, to attend the CAST Annual Meeting Oct. 26-28, 2021, in Columbus, OH. Attending the CAST Annual Meeting will give the student an orientation to CAST and its mission, provide networking opportunities with scientists in multiple disciplines, and instill the importance of science communication.
Through the generosity of one of our individual members and a group of scientists/CAST members called the Grand Messengers of Science (GMOs), it offers a total of $400.00 that will cover the cost of their attending the meeting ($200.00), and an additional stipend ($200.00).
Below are the scholarship details. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Graduate level or veterinary medicine student at The Ohio State University
- Majoring in one of these or related areas of focus:
- Animal Agriculture and Environmental Issues
- Food Science and Safety
- Plant Agriculture and Environmental Issues
- Agricultural/Biological Engineering
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Communications
- Veterinary Medicine
- CAST will select up to ten students to receive the scholarship.
- Selected students must commit to attending the CAST Annual Meeting October 26-28, 2021 in Columbus, Ohio.
- The application process consists of:
- Filling out the application form.
- Creating one of the following media and agreeing to allow CAST to use the media in future marketing efforts:
- 90 seconds or less that includes audio, visuals, and credits.
- Download in a common file format (.MP4 is best for web uploads)
- Includes images, text, and sources
- Download as a .PNG or .JPG file
- Audio such as narration or conversation
- Credits for music, sound effects, etc.
- Download as an .MP3 or .WAV file
- Writing a 500-word essay covering the following (keep it conversational):
- What is your research, and what part of your research are you communicating in your media example?
- Why do you believe a video/infographic/micro-podcast is the best way to convey your research to a non-scientific audience?
- Why do you think it is important to communicate your research to an audience outside your research community?
Scholarship Description. Please read this document to learn more about CAST, the scholarship, eligibility, and the application process.
Scholarship Application. This Google Form is where students can submit their contact information, current research area(s), media example (they can choose from a short video, an infographic, or a micro-podcast). This is also where students will submit their 500 word or less essay and where they will let us know their availability for attending the annual meeting.
Media Guidelines. This document explains in great detail the submission requirements, tips to getting started on the media submission, and guidelines with links to tutorials on different programs to use to help students create their chosen media.
The application deadline is Sunday, September 12, 2021.