Throughout the upcoming year, and beyond, the college will be hosting a series of professional learning experiences for the CFAES teaching community.
The kick-off program for the CFAES Teaching Today’s Learners: Professional Learning & Development Series will be a reading group. The group is to be facilitated by Ohio State’s Writing Across the Curriculum Coordinator using the book, The Course Syllabus: A Learning-Centered Approach to structure activities and exercises that will assist the participants in exploring the “syllabus” as a learning tool, teaching resource, a learner-centered working document for both educator and learner.
The first meeting of the kick-off program for the series is scheduled on January 15, 2020 1:00pm-2:30pm with hosted participation locations on both the Columbus and Wooster campuses connected via Zoom. To register please complete the brief Qualtrics registration form here.
Participants will have an opportunity to use principals from the provided book to collaborate with their colleagues and plan how they will revise a course syllabus. In a later session, they will be able to come back, share their revisions, and get feedback from their fellow faculty. The college will purchase The Course Syllabus: A Learning-Centered Approach for participating CFAES teaching community members; therefore we respectfully request that those who wish to participate in the reading group complete their registration by December 13, 2019.
This series is designed to address learning goals established by FAES faculty and staff:
- Appreciate and understand that embracing diversity, in its many forms and contexts, and creating an inclusive environment enhances the teaching and learning exchange
- The focus of this goal may take the perspective of: who are our learners and how do we identify their needs; “diversity” in all of its forms in terms of the learner, the educator, ways of knowing, ways of interacting, etc.; or simply “meeting the learner where they are
- Become familiar with methods, strategies, and best practices for effectively navigating the teaching and learning exchange
- The focus of this goal may be viewed as what are the approaches and techniques, we, as educators, can employ to best assist our learners in acquiring and utilizing new knowledge, awareness, skills, and attitudes
- C. Become aware of and utilize resources and opportunities for strengthening the teaching and learning exchange
- The focus of this goal may be explained as sharing the resources we have within, across and beyond our institution which we can capitalize upon for support as we teach
With these goals in mind, programming is being designed to create some developing, delivering, and engaging opportunities that will contribute to our teaching community as we strive to enhance our quality educational experiences for our learners.